Research and Clinical Trials
Local and national level audit projects conducted for review of peri-operative outcomes for patients undergoing surgery.
Small, single centre investigator-led clinical trials as well as multi-centre investigator led RCT’s are conducted through collaborative groups such as the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists Clinical Trials Network (ANZCA-CTN) and Public Health Research Institute in Canada (PHRI).
The research department also maintains academic ties with Auckland University and Oxford University and Columbia University with various collaborative projects.
Areas of interest include EEG during anaesthesia, regional blockade and cardiac anaesthesia. Collaborative projects with Cardiac surgery research and Critical care research groups are also a focus.
Anaesthesia and analgesia effects on brain slices are studied with the aid of Dr Logan Voss (Waikato and Auckland Universities)
Molecular 3D computational modelling are studied with the aid of Dr Amir Irani (Waikato Hospital)
- The Sevoflurane Trial: Topical Sevoflurane in Chronic Painful Ulcers
- Topical Sevoflurane to painful, non-healing wounds in palliative care
- Subcut administered pharmacokinetics of dexmedetomidine in healthy adult volunteers
- CLIP NZ:II- Frozen vs fresh platelets for the management of post-op surgical bleeding following cardiac surgery
- Delta-Max Trial: Customised delta-wave targeting during anaesthesia as a measure of depth of anaesthesia during surgery
- Poise-3 Trial: Peri-operative ischaemic evaluation Trial
- TRIG’s Trial: TXA to reduce Infection after GI Surgery
- The department also collects audit data for a variety of projects.
Professor Jamie Sleigh
Dr Kelly Byrne
Dr Amy Gaskell
Dr Nicola Whittle
Dr Timothy Starkie
Dr Kate Goldstone
Dr Logan Voss (Scientist)
Dr Amir Irani (Bio-molecular Simulation)
Dr Antara Banerji (PhD Student)
Jonathan Termaat- Research and clinical trial Co-ordinator