Strength and balance for 65 plus
Stay on your feet and live the life you want to live
The Waikato Strong & Stable programme is coordinated by Steph McLennan and the Midland Community Pharmacy Group in partnership with Waikato District Health Board, ACC and the Primary Health Organisations (PHOs) in the region.
It’s part of the nationwide Live Stronger for Longer initiative, which offers practical information and advice for older people and their supporters on how to minimise falls while living an active, independent life.
Numerous classes underway across Waikato – mainly in Hamilton, but also Cambridge, Tokoroa, Thames, Ngaruawhahia, Matamata, Morrinsville and Te Awamutu, and other towns.
- Any older adult can attend sessions. There’s no need to register of book in – you can just turn up at a class.
- Classes are low cost – all $2 to $5 per session.
- Comfortable clothes that you can move in, and flat, comfortable shoes are all you need.
- You can go at your own pace.
- Seated and standing options.
- Suitable for all levels.
- Approved classes are led by trained leaders.
- Doctors, nurses, physios, pharmacists and other health professionals will also be referring older adults to the programme.
Ready to join a class?
Every district in New Zealand has a Lead Agency to support and grow access to community group strength and balance classes.
If you have any questions or if you're an exercise provider interested in running community group strength and balance classes, contact the Lead Agency in your district.