Resident doctors/RMOs/House officers
|Grow your experience. Further your career. You’re welcome here. Don’t take our word for it!
We've surveyed resident doctors to find out what they like about working here and here's what they say:
- Excellent senior and junior teaching staff.
- Close links with Auckland University’s Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences.
- World-class research library, academic and clinical skills training facilities.
- Supportive atmosphere with friendly and flexible working environments.
- Wide range of specialties on one campus – loads of opportunities to learn procedures.
- Friendly, helpful RMO Unit dedicated to working with you and for you.
- No traffic or parking problems.
- Good, affordable accommodation close to the hospital.
- On average, less demand on your time after-hours and at weekends than other hospitals…
- Which gives you more time to enjoy the lifestyle –
restaurants, nightclubs, galleries, sports events, family activities, or
enjoy the ski-fields and surf beaches in easy reach.
Check us out!
Select one of the options in the right-hand navigation that fits you, and find out more –
run and pay details, dates, how to apply, links to key information and
websites - and some insights into working and living here.
Meet the team
Our role is to recruit, roster and retain resident medical officers
(RMOs) at Waikato Hospital. We coordinate the Year 1 house officer
selection working within the ACE process, and we also coordinate house
officer, senior house officer and registrar recruitment.
We aim to provide a friendly, accessible unit where you can call in
for a chat or with questions and queries. Our 'open door' approach means
you can find support and guidance on a variety of issues from your run
allocations and terms of employment to meal chits and leave forms.
The current team consists of an RMO Unit manager (Paul Miller), two
RMO administrators (Ripeka Harrison and Sally Clark) and a medical
recruitment coordinator (Penny Simpson).
It's a busy environment at a large, complex hospital - but we will
find the time and space to get to know you, help you and make you feel
We are responsible for:
- house officer orientation
- rosters (surgical house officers, O&G SHO rosters, and the medicine rosters for house officers and registrars)
- checking practising Certificates and, in conjunction with the MCNZ, registration status
- house officer run allocations
- managing the surgical (HOs only) and medical relief pools (HOs and registrars)
- maintaining a central repository of all RMO run descriptions
- administration duties such as meal 'chits', leave forms claim
forms and ensuring MCNZ supervision forms (where required) are submitted
You are welcome to contact us directly to talk about specific issues or clarify things. If you are not sure whether there is a place for you here, if we have
runs that you want or whether we offer the training you're looking for,
please send us an email or give us a call. We are happy to talk with
Such emails should be directed to the Medical Recruitment Coordinator in the first instance: email@example.com
back to top