Health System Plan
Health System Plan
In 2016 Waikato DHB developed the vision of “Healthy people. Excellent care” along with some priorities that would help us to deliver on the vision. To get closer to this vision we have to look at how our health system is working now and how we need it to work in the next 10 years.
The actions to achieve the vision have been outlined in a draft Waikato Health System Plan.
We know we have to make some big changes to meet the challenges of the future and to have a health system that works for our people. Most importantly, we want to design those changes with our communities and the people who use our services.
Through July and August 2018 we held a series of wānanga, local forums, focus groups and consumer interviews to get ideas and input from our communities and service users. A big thank you to everyone who shared their experiences, knowledge and ideas. Since then we have distilled those community and individual voices into some clear themes that have helped us develop a draft Health System Plan.
- Draft Waikato Health System Plan (Web version with two-page spread) [PDF, 2.4 MB]
- Draft Waikato Health System Plan (Print version, single page) [PDF, 2.8 MB]
- Summary version [PDF, 948 KB]
We would like your feedback. Do you think we’ve got this right? And what is most important for you?
Listen to a message from our Consumer Council:
There are a number of opportunities for you to have a say
- Online – complete a survey
- Email - Send us an email HealthSystemPlan@waikatodhb.health.nz
- By post – Waikato District Health Board, Strategy, Funding and Public Health – Health System Plan, Level 9 KPMG Building, Private Bag 3200, Waikato Mail Centre, Hamilton 3240
Have your say by 31 May 2019.
What did people say?
Overall, people said that by 2028 they’d like Waikato health services to be:
- Focussed on wellness and wellbeing
- Focussed on the needs of service users, not the needs of providers
- Equitable and fair so everyone has the opportunity to achieve their full health potential
- Joined up health services with smooth links between health and other social services
- Designed with the people who use them.
The feedback translated into six goals with action areas underneath:
- Partner with Māori in the planning and delivery of health services
- Empower whānau to achieve wellbeing
- Support community aspirations and address the determinants of health
- Improve access to services
- Enhance the capacity and capability of primary health care
- Strengthen intermediate care
We will focus our work in these six areas to address what is needed in communities to support people to stay well and live well with their health needs and to have better more affordable health services.
If you want more information contact the project team: HealthSystemPlan@waikatodhb.health.nz